Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My take on Balance


I interpreted the "balance" theme for this month to relate to composition (e.g. a balanced compostioon). As such, here is my contribution to the blog . . .

I took this shot off the coast of Sarasota, FL a couple of weeks ago. After I got back and began to look at my images, I was at first disappointed with this shot. I felt the two Egrets on the left were the main subject matter and the lone guy on the right was a distraction - kind of a "third wheel". However, after spending some time with it and considering the composition, the image began to grow on me. As it turns out, it is now my 2nd favorite shot of the trip.

I continue to view the pair as the main subject matter but I think the one on the right actually adds interest and "balance", if you will, to the composition. I believe groupings of three are typically more pleasing than groupings of 2 or 4 - there is an inherent balance to groups of three.

The egret on the right certainly fills some space, but more than that, he adds depth to the image and maybe even a story line. To me, the pair appear to be kissing (I know they are not really engaged in human-like activity) - their heads and neck form a heart shape. I can imagine these two "lovers" annoyed by the "third wheel" on the right who will not give them any privacy. Ok, ok, I know this is kinda weird.

Any way, "Three's Company" is my contribution for February. I'm interested in your comments and C&C.









No comments:

Post a Comment