Monday, February 28, 2011

Balance

Here are my images for the Balance theme. The first image is just a fun image of my son balancing some china. This china set has been handed down several generations in my family. Luckily Logan didn’t break any of the cups, regretfully I broke one after the shoot when I moved my step stool. Anybody want to guess how Logan pulled this off?

The next shot is an image of my wife balancing a knife on her finger. I always love taking images of items in a way that contradicts their utilitarian aspects. With doing so you can create an image that makes people think and study the composition more then if it was a straight forward image. For instance, with this image of the knife logic makes you think that the point should be piercing the skin of the finger. When it doesn’t you become intrigued and look into the image more. Well this is just my interpretation that is. Let me know what you think.

The last image is more of an interpretive imagery of balance. This image is of my wife. I include an image of her because she is the center of my universe. Whenever am down are having a hard time she is the first to pick me up. Whenever I need encouragement or a muse to get my creative juices flowing she is always there to inspire me. Whenever I succeed it is only because of her undying support and encouragement. Without her in my life everything would be out of whack. She is the one I go to when everything is out of kilter and I need focus. For me my wife is my balance :o)

3 comments:

  1. Ok, how is Logan doing that? Also, is Jaimie actually holding the knife or is it on a cutting board with her finger in front of it?

    Great pictures regardless of how they are being done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,

    I love the first shot of your son and the cups. It has tremendous depth. Your POV on the shot is perfect. Did you use a fisheye on this? The way the cups seem to curve is really cool. Also your son's expression is priceless and I like the way you have to look "around" the cups to see his face - it draws you into the shot.

    I'm sure your wife is pleased with her portraits. The crops are very interesting and the high-key lighting is very flattering. You're a lucky man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind words. The lens I used was a 16-40 mounted on 5D.

    ReplyDelete