Saturday, June 25, 2011

Summer in the Sandhills

Here are my contributions for the summer theme. All were taken at Valentine NWR last weekend. I am going to submit one of the landscapes to the National Natural Landmarks Photo contest and would appreciate your help in making the decision for which one to submit. Please let me know which is your favorite and why. Thanks so much.

No. 1 - I caught a glimpse of this badger from my car. Shot with Pentax K5 and Pentax DA*300.


No. 2 - Evening sunlight illuminates the sandhills shortly after a sever thunderstorm. Shot with Canon 5D Mark II with Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L II.

No. 3 - the morning after the thunderstorm. Shot with Canon 5D Mark II with Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L II.

No. 4 - I went there hoping the yuccas would be in bloom. I was not disappointed. Here, once again, the horizon cleared of heavy clouds just before sunset, providing some really sweet light for a dramatic affect. Shot with Canon 5D Mark II with Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8L II.

No. 5 - Just a bit later than the previous shot - actually about 15 minutes after sunset (the sun actually dipped below the horizon just the right of this frame). The color was outstanding and changed by the minute. Shot with Canon 5D Mark II with Canon EF 24-105 f/4.0L II.


3 comments:

  1. I like #2. First, the only thing that detracts from the image is the dead tree. That was the first area of the image that my eye was drawn to. Otherwise, the image has great symmetry with the light toned water in the foreground and the light toned linear clouds above contrasting against the darker sky. The dark colored trees contrast very well with the grassy sandhills. You even have more of those darker shades of green in the foreground. A well balanced image. It looks like a place I'd want to go camping and watch the stars come out at night.

    As for #1, it's a good thing you were in your car with the zoom lens! Badgers aren't people friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Skip. I appreciate your thoughtful comments. I was leaning towards No. 2 myself.

    As for the badger, several people have told me the same thing about their nasty personalities. Ironically, after my first encounter, I went back to his burrow (got out of the car and looked into it) but he was no where to be found. I guess I lucked out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frank,
    I like Number 2. The tree in the foreground gives me some ideas about 'who' and 'what' lives there. Maybe a hawk would roost in the upper branches and see this scene from a different perspective. It makes me think about the whole picture a little differently. The color is well balanced like Skip said, and the water in the foreground adds some additional interest.

    Number 5 is also very nice with the colors in the sky reflecting into the wetland in the foregound.

    ReplyDelete