Sunday, January 30, 2011

The first idea I had for "Bright Colors" was triggered by enjoyment for different beers.  Beer labels and beer bottle caps are as diverse as the sweet nectar contained within, so I figured I would try and capture the bright colors that the different breweries decorate their bottles with.  I used what bottle caps I had in my cap catcher and also borrowed Mike's collection.  The first two show basically the same shot, but one is using an ultra wide angle for a different perspective.

ISO 100 | 1/160 | f/22 | 50mm

ISO 100 | 1/160 | f/25 | 17mm

The next idea I had was to show how color display technologies have evolved over the years.  The following image combines macro shots of, in order from top to bottom, a CRT (tube) TV, CRT computer monitor, Nintendo DS, laptop LCD screen, plasma TV and a AMOLED screen from a smart phone.  The images are scaled the same, so the relatives sizes between each type is accurate; notice how much bigger the elements are in a standard CRT (tube) TV at the top and the smart phone screen at the bottom.  It's always amazed me how screens can trick the mind into seeing the entire color gamut from just red, green and blue elements.  I blurred the transitions between sections using the lens blurring feature and gradient masks in Photoshop.

Each shot had different settings

The last idea I had was to play around with droplets of different combinations of liquids.  I have to say, I got ideas of what liquids to use from Mike and my wife Stacey.

ISO 100 | 1/250 | f/16 | 100mm

ISO 100 | 1/250 | f/16 | 100mm

1 comment:

  1. Nice bottle caps, kind of making me thirsty. I love the image of the screen resolutions over the years. Very creative!!! I should have known that you would do something techy for the project :o)

    ReplyDelete